apothecary jars & damask balls

Inspired by the ever-so-crafty Jen from Craft-O-Maniac, I wanted to make these adorable Mod Podged damask balls. I followed her tutorial, except I used tissue paper instead of napkins. I just cut a strip of paper and if I had some of the ball still showing, I cut a little piece and covered it. Keeping a damp cloth nearby was SO helpful since my hands and sponge handle were covered in Mod Podge. Sadly, I didn't get any photos while I was working on the project.

I found a pack of 12 foam balls and tissue paper at Hobby Lobby. There's so many kinds of paper you could use! So many cute ideas.... Anyway, I love the damask design, and wanted to keep my decorations neutral in color for now until I can decide how I am going to decorate everything else.

After they were dry (rotate the balls around so they won't stick to the plate), I was so happy with the result!! While I was letting them dry, I put my jars together. There's lots of tutorials out there for DIY apothecary jars. I just couldn't find candlestick kits anywhere and didn't have the time to go to goodwill stores to find some. The candlesticks I did find were a little out of my price range, but I am extremely happy with what I found!

So, I bought 2 glass jars with lids, and found some candle stands I really liked and that go with other decorations in my living room. You can use any jars or stands you like, there's so many options out there! To put the jars together, I washed/scrubbed the HECK out of the jars to get the price sticker off. I also cleaned the stand, just to make sure everything would stick properly. Then I put Amazing Goop glue on the bottom of the jar, but only around the edge since the stand is a little concave. Let it sit for a minute or so, then put it on top of the stand and make sure it's straight and level. Then I just let them sit and dry. When the balls were dry, I dropped them into the jars and that's it!

Simple as that!! I love how they look!!

x's & o's

Inspired by Jen from Craft-O-Maniac, I made my own X's & O's for some Valentine decoration! I think I like hers better though... I bought wooden letters, and 2 sheets of scrapbook paper. I painted the letters with black paint, and cut out the traced letters on the paper. Glued them down with Mod Podge, making sure to get all the air bubbles out. Then covered the entire letter with Mod Podge and let dry. Trimmed down excess paper, and ta da!! They look so cute! I want to sand down the edges or something to make them a little distressed, but haven't got around to it yet...

diy rag quilt

Following the EASY instructions from Green Apple Orchard, I was able to make my baby girl a rag quilt for Christmas!! I am a VERY beginner sew-er, so I was so happy that this project was so do-able for me!! I love how it turned out. It was so fun picking out the fabric and putting it together. I'm so grateful to have a mother and mother-in-law so talented in sewing so they could help me out!
Here are the fabrics I chose for the blanket:

I also recommend spring scissors to help with cutting the blanket. Makes it faster and less painful on your hands! I love how the blanket turned out.

I ended up with 6 extra squares, so I made a mini blanket, and gave it to her with a baby doll. Worked out perfectly! This is before I cut the strips.

christmas stockings

I wanted to make my own Christmas stockings, and to make them non-traditional. While looking through the stores around Christmas, I noticed a lot of the decorations now come in all kinds of colors: purple, pink, blue & green. Perfect!! I found some material at Joann's Fabric and then made up a pattern of an elf-style stocking. The back is a solid purple material with some glitter in it, similar to the top flap material but I liked the white better for the top. I made the hangers the same material as the back.

I cut out strips of all the different colors of material and randomly laid them in a row. Then I sewed the strip together until they would fit the pattern. I like the angled stripes instead of the stripes being vertical or horizontal.
After having all the pieces cut out, I ironed on some interfacing to stiffen it up. I had bells to attach to the toes, but they were too heavy and folded the toes over. It was a bit tricky to get the tops sewed on, but I think it turned out pretty successful!! I love how they turned out!  I still need to cut names out and stick them to the top though. Good thing we have a Silhouette SD now! That should make the job MUCH easier!!