When it comes to cookie recipes, easier is always better. Especially when it comes to sugar cookies. I've never had much luck with the complicated recipes. Plus, just reading through some of them is just exhausting. So I give those of you who are willing to do the tough recipe props, because I'm just too lazy.
This recipe is pretty much just mix and bake. No chilling in the refrigerator involved, and you don't even have to use cookie cutters if you don't want to! Easy, peasy and they are delicious!!
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Cream butter and sugar until light & fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and add to butter mixture one cup at a time.
- Divide dough into two balls (do not chill).
- On a floured surface, roll or press each ball with your fingers into a 12" circle about 1/8" thick.
- Cut out shapes with floured cookie cutters. Or if you don't want to use cookie cutters, roll the dough into a 1-1 1/2" ball and flatten it to 1/8" thick.
- Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet for 6-7 minutes.
- When cookies are cooled, frost and sprinkle.
(For the Peep chick and bunny cookies, we added mini chocolate chips for eyes)
Makes about 3 dozen sugar cookies.