Cereal is a staple food in our house. While cereal is great for breakfast, we've also been known to eat it for dinner on busy evenings and sometimes even for lunch. Now I've decided to take it a step further and enjoy some for dessert using Post cereal!! These cupcakes are really quick to whip up, taste delicious and are especially fun for kids to help bake.
You can find both cereals at Walmart. Right now, you can earn $.50 when you buy any Post product at Walmart with Ibotta.
Start by pouring out some cereal and separating the marshmallows from the cereal. This is the perfect job for the kids to help you with, plus the cereal is fun to snack on at the same time!
Pour the cereal into a plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs with a rolling pin. You'll need 1 cup of cereal crumbs to use in the cupcakes to add some extra chocolatey flavor. Set aside 1/2 cup of marshmallows to use for later.
Mix together all the ingredients to make the cupcake batter. Fill the cupcake liners with batter and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack. While you're waiting for them to cool, mix up the frosting. If you have extra cereal crumbs, you can add a bit to the frosting for some extra crunch.
Piping frosting is easier than you think! Fill up a piping bag and use the tip of your choice. Hold the tip straight above the the cupcake at a 90º angle and swirl around the cupcake until you get to the center. Release the pressure on the piping bag and pull straight up. It will take some practice, but don't give up!
Add marshmallows and pieces of cereal to the top of the cupcake to decorate it how you'd like. This was my daughter's favorite part and loved getting to help bake these cupcakes!
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch cereal, crushed
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Separate marshmallows from cereal and set aside. Place chocolate cereal in a plastic bag and crush into fine crumbs with a rolling pin.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold in crushed cereal.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin. Pour in 2-3 tablespoons of batter into each cupcake cup.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
7 oz marshmallow creme
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup Kung Fu Panda Po Power Crunch cereal marshmallows
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in marshmallow creme and mix until combined
- Spoon in powdered sugar to thicken or add up to 1 tablespoon of milk to thin.
- Frost the cupcakes with a piping bag, then sprinkle marshmallows and cereal pieces on top of the frosting.
What cereal will you try making into cupcakes?